Interlibrary Loan (ILL) FAQs
Interlibrary Loan service is designed to provide limited access to books and information not available in the Clark County area. It is not designed for items needed for an extended period of time. If an item is needed for more than two weeks, the best option is to purchase that item.
- How do I place an ILL request?
- What items can be requested via ILL?
- Can I request the same title again?
- What items cannot be requested via ILL?
- Who can use the ILL service?
- What do I do if I cannot find the book in WorldCat?
- Are there any restrictions on photocopy requests?
- How much does an ILL request cost?
- How many items can I request?
- How long does it take to receive an ILL item?
- How will I be notified when an ILL item arrives?
- Where do I pick up and return ILL items?
- How long can I keep an ILL item?
- Can I renew an ILL item?
- What happens if I lose or damage an ILL item?
- What does the error message - "Request was not submitted: You have exceeded maximum number of Inter-Library Loan requests allowed." - mean?
- How can I contact the ILL office?
- How can I cancel an ILL request?
How do I place an ILL request?
Books are obtained via WorldCat. Please note that we are unable to obtain items we own or items in high demand. Follow the steps below to place an Interlibrary Loan (ILL) request.
- Search for the item using WorldCat.org
- Click the Book Request link on the Interlibrary Loan page
- Enter your library card number and PIN
- Click on the WorldCat.org link
- Select the Books tab and enter your search term(s)
- Select your book and view the libraries owning a copy based on your zip code. If Las Vegas - Clark County Library District is not listed, the item can be requested.
- Review the item details to ensure this is the item you want. Please pay special attention to the "Edition/Format" field. This tells you the format of the item, i.e. large print, regular book, etc.
- Once you have found your book in WorldCat, enter the author's name, title of the book, place and date of publication, ISBN number (if applicable), and the OCLC number for the book on the ILL request form.
- Enter a need by date if you need it by a certain date (it will take at least 2-3 weeks, and up to 6 weeks to obtain the item).
- Click Submit This Request
Following your Request
If you have an email address listed in your account, you will receive an email confirming the ILL request was placed. The ILL request will appear on your account once the ILL department has processed the request (this may take several days).
What items can be requested via ILL?
- Books, conference proceedings and dissertations
- Photocopies of newspaper and magazine articles
- Some reference and genealogical materials only if the lending library will lend them
Can I request the same title again?
Only one request for a given title, per patron, within a 6-month period.
This includes different editions or publication dates of the same title.
What items cannot be requested via ILL?
- Video and audio cassettes, sound recordings, and compact discs
- All materials owned by libraries located within Clark County
- Individual issues of magazines and newspapers
Who can use the ILL service?
Any Las Vegas - Clark County Library District resident
- with a valid, unexpired library card
- whose account shows no overdue items
- and owes less than $10 in fines or fees
may use the Library District's Interlibrary Loan service.
Borrowers who are not Las Vegas-Clark County Library District residents should submit their requests directly to their own Library District. They may request ILL services from the Las Vegas-Clark County Library District, but they
- will be charged a $25-per-item fee
- must agree to pay any additional fees assessed by the lending institution
- will be subject to the same eligibility requirements as residents (listed above)
What do I do if I cannot find the item in WorldCat?
If the item cannot be found at WorldCat.org, we suggest you verify the information you have with another source. Try searching for the item at an online store like Amazon or Barnes & Noble. If it is a new item, it is possible it has not been cataloged by a library in WorldCat.
Are there any restrictions on photocopy requests?
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material.
Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction. One of these specific conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement.
The Library District reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
How much does an ILL request cost?
There is no charge for ILL services for Las Vegas-Clark County Library District residents.
Non-Library District residents will be a charged a non-refundable fee of $25-per-item and any additional fees assessed by the lending institution.
How many items can I request?
A borrower may have up to five (5) active requests at any given time.
("Active" means any request from the time the request form is submitted until the item borrowed is returned to the library.)
How long does it take to receive an ILL item?
It can take up to six weeks to receive an Interlibrary Loan item. There are many factors that influence this including location of the lending library, method of shipment, etc. Most libraries ship items via the US Postal Service.
Some materials (genealogy, local history, reference, microfilm, rare items, etc.) may be difficult to obtain. It may take longer than six weeks to receive these types of items.
How will I be notified when an ILL item arrives?
When the item arrives at the ILL office, it will be processed and forwarded to your home library. Notification is sent via email that the item is 'Ready for Pickup'. If you do not have an email address, please check My Account for the status of the request. If the ILL office is unable to obtain the requested item, notification that the request has been cancelled will be sent via email.
Where do I pick up and return ILL items?
ILL items are picked up at your home library. Our courier service may take several days to deliver an item from the central ILL processing center to your home library; we recommend calling the home library to ensure the item has arrived and is 'Ready for Pickup'.
ILL items should be returned to the service desk from which you picked them up. We recommend obtaining a return receipt when you return the item. If for some reason the item does not make it back to the ILL office you will need this receipt to show the item was returned. Please leave the ILL label on ILL items and please do not return ILL items in the book return.
How long can I keep an ILL item?
Checkout periods are determined by the lending library. There may also be additional limitations required by the library which may include "In library use only"
Please make every effort to return the items by the due date. Overdue charges accrue on materials borrowed through Interlibrary Loan at the rate of $.25 per day per item until is the item is returned. If a long overdue ILL item is returned after the Library District has paid the lending library for the item, we are unable to waive the cost of the item. Patrons are responsible for all fines and fees assessed in this case.
Can I renew an ILL item?
Interlibrary loan materials cannot be renewed. Patrons are responsible for any overdue fines or fees incurred if an item is kept past the due date.
What happens if I lose or damage an ILL item?
Our Library District is accountable for the materials borrowed from other libraries; our privilege of borrowing materials from them may be jeopardized if items are damaged or lost.
Patrons are responsible for damage/loss of ILL items which may include a processing fee. If an item is damaged or lost, please notify the ILL office. ILL staff will contact the lending library and provide you with the amount owed.
Lost or damaged ILL bookstrap will result in a $3 charge.
Borrowing privileges with the Las Vegas-Clark County Library District will be suspended until all related fees are resolved. Multiple instances of lost or damaged ILL items may result in the loss of ILL privileges.
Unpaid balances for lost or damaged ILL items may be referred to a collection agency; in these cases, a $10 nonrefundable fee will be added to the account.
What does the error message "Request was not submitted: You have exceeded maximum number of Inter-Library Loan requests allowed." mean?
If there is an account balance of $10 or more or the account already has 5 active ILL requests, you will be unable to place a request for ILL materials.
How can I contact the ILL office?
The Interlibrary Loan office can be reached by phone at: 702.507.6306 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Office hours are 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
How can I cancel an ILL request?
To cancel an ILL request, please contact the ILL office at: 702.507.6306 or email@example.com..
If the item has been shipped by the lending library we will be unable to cancel the request until the item arrives. Please note that the item will remain listed on your account until it arrives and will be counted as one of your five active requests.