Did you know that the Library District provides all library cardholders free employment assistance eResources that you can access right from the comfort of your home? Due to COVID-19, many Southern Nevadans have found themselves unemployed or furloughed until local businesses are allowed to re-open. During this time, you can use your free library card to access our online resources that will help you navigate this trying time by providing digital tools to help you learn new skills and enhance your resume.
Look For a Job and Build Your Career Skills Here!
Are you currently unemployed?
- File for unemployment here: http://ui.nv.gov/css.html
- Nevada Public Radio has shared helpful tips on what to do once you've been laid off from work.
Are you looking for a new job, or want to build your skills for a brand-new career?
- Check out the Library District's FREE online resources below that are available using your library card!
- Don't have a library card yet? Sign up for our new digital eCard and #GetCarded to enjoy instant access to hundreds of our eResources.
Nevada CareerExplorer is a place to find not just a job, but a career you’ll love! Explore over 900 careers, countless educational and certification opportunities, or learn more about yourself and the careers made for you by taking a self-assessment.
- Quick Assessment: An organized view of your personality type and strengths.
- Interest Profiler: Highlights your interests and outlines how they pertain to the workforce.
- Budget Your Life: Create budgets for your current income and spending, or plan for the income you’d like to earn.
- Choosing an Industry: Search for opportunities based on the highest wages, most openings, or most in-demand.
- Up the Ladder: A game-like learning tool, designed for kids, that introduces them to fields and future professions.
- Colleges and Training: Search for nearby locations that offer the education you need to secure your ideal career.
JobNow is a unique suite of resources for job seekers, including on-demand access to trained career experts who provide live, one-to-one interview coaching and resume assistance.
- Live Interview Coaching: brush up on interview techniques or get live online interview practice with a job coach.
- Resume Lab: receive expert resume and cover letter assistance from trained experts.
- Live Career Assistance: enjoy 24/7 access to a carefully-selected library of job resources.
- Adult Learning Center: provides foundational, career-enhancing skills to adult learners through test preparation.
- Live Academic Tutoring: for assignments and coursework.
- Live Skills Tutoring: master skills through live, one-to-one lessons in math, reading, and writing, and computer literacy.
- Writing Assistance: trained instructors to help you produce better business letters, term papers, resumes, and more.
- Adult Test Center: 24-hour access to a regularly updated test library, including the GED, a unique U.S. Citizenship test, and more.
With the Virtual Career Library, individual modules will help guide you through the career-seeking process, from searching for jobs to preparing resumes and cover letters to negotiating job conditions. Learn how to find a new career, land the job, and thrive in your new position. Get tips, advice, and instructions on how to:
- Change careers
- Search for jobs
- Create and target your resume
- Write cover letters
- Prepare for interviews
- Develop networking skills
- Negotiate salary considerations
Video courses are the fastest and easiest way to learn how to use a computer. Use the materials in this center to learn the basics of computers, from searching the Internet to using popular programs for word processing, creating spreadsheets and databases, implementing design, and more. Skill levels are from basic to advanced.
Totally new to the Microsoft suite of products or looking to learn more? Choose from “30-minute” tutorials or hours long, comprehensive tutorials, to learn Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Access.
Writing experts are on hand to analyze your writing. Constructive comments are returned to you within 24 hours.
Gale Courses offers a wide range of highly interactive courses that you can take entirely over the Internet. All of our classes are led by expert instructors, many of whom are nationally known authors. Our online courses are free, fun, convenient, and geared just for you. Courses run for six weeks and new sessions begin every month.
Online learning library that helps anyone learn business, software, technology, and creative skills from over 3,100 engaging video courses taught by recognized industry experts. To get started, simply log in with your library card and PIN.
- Build a website: Learn the basics of building a website with an introduction to text editors and basic HTML.
- Start a business: Find out how to get your business off the ground.
- Learn to code: Gain experience with technologies like Ruby on Rains to help you build the next world-changing product.
- Build an iPhone app: Learn the languages, tools, and necessary concepts to get your app out the door.
- Build an Android app: See exactly how to build a finished Android app with touch and motion. You'll also learn the Java language and Android SDK.