While you are practicing social distancing, use your free library card to access these fun, educational, and FREE online resources to help pass the time, teach you something new, and keep your skills sharp!
Don't Have A Library Card? Welcome To The Library District’s New Digital eCard!
Sign up and #GetCarded to enjoy instant access to download or stream everything from our digital collection.
Online Learning Resources:
Free with your Library District card:
- Play and Learn with Socrates - This new learning tool performs like a video game, with prizes and incentives, as it sharpens math, English language arts, and science skills for grades K-8. Content adapts and grows as the student advances grades. Multilingual and cross-cultural support is also offered. Requires a Library District library card.
- Free Online Tutoring with Brainfuse - Get help with your homework online. Enter our online classroom and receive live, online help from a Brainfuse tutor. Available in English and Spanish for early elementary through advanced college prep students in core subjects. Requires a Library District library card.
- Improve Student Performance with IXL - Reinforce classroom and homeschooling lessons and improve student performance! Access is free with your library card. This online learning site offers unlimited practice in over 6,000 topics and individualizes the learning experience for students so they can work at their own pace to master the material. Requires a Library District library card.
- World Book Early World of Learning - Early World of Learning offers rich resources designed to develop reading fluency and phonemic awareness in younger learners. Requires a Library District library card.
- Novelist K-8 Plus - A trusted source of read-alike recommendations specifically for younger readers. It helps kids find books that are just right for their reading level and interests. Parents, teachers, and librarians can also find tools to teach with books and engage young readers. Requires a Library District library card.
- National Geographic Kids - Explore the natural world with interactive games, fun videos, and get homework help from the creators of the award-winning magazine. Requires a Library District library card.
- Staff Lists and More! - You can find reading recommendations and more online resource suggestions on our Kids page!
- Language Learning - Transparent Language, Muzzy, and Rosetta Stone. Requires a Library District library card.
- Help by Subject - Math, History, Science & Technology, Geography, and Biography.
- LearningExpress Library - LearningExpress Library helps improve the lives of people every day through a highly-acclaimed eLearning solution that provides support to students and professionals for academic skill-building, standardized test prep, career certification test prep, and more. Requires a Library District library card.
- TreeHouse - Learn web design, coding, and much more with Treehouse. You can learn at your own pace and become job-ready within months. Requires a Library District library card.
- LinkedIn Learning - Online learning library that helps anyone learn business, software, technology, and creative skills from over 3,100 engaging video courses taught by recognized industry experts. Requires a Library District library card.
Discover all of the Library District's FREE eResources by clicking here.
Other Free Online Learning Resources:
- Vegas PBS Learn - Providing access to instructional resources for educators and families. Their goal is to help ensure learning continuity for students while schools are closed.
- Scholastic Learn At Home - Day-by-day projects to keep kids reading, thinking, and growing.
- Discovery Education - Take learning beyond the classroom and into the real world.
- Children's Museum Houston Classroom Curriculum - An extensive database for activities and videos to incorporate into your classroom or experience at home.
- Time for Kids - This digital library is now available for free for the rest of the school year.
- Biblioboard Open Access - An assortment of rich historical and carefully curated multimedia content, as well as high-quality open access journals, textbooks, and other open educational resources.
- Imagineering in a Box - A free online program that brings together the diverse talents of Disney Imagineers around the world for a one-of-a-kind learning experience and is part of Disney’s commitment to helping today’s youth create the future they imagine.
- Disney On Stage - Families and young people will be learning at home for a while, so over the coming weeks, Disney On Stage will be showcasing some of the most popular parts of Disney Theatrical’s free education programs. Find activities from The Lion King, Mary Poppins, Aladdin, Frozen, and a selection of Careers in Theatres videos and podcasts.
- MIT Media Lab - K-12 students can learn about one of the most important topics in STEM: artificial intelligence.
- ASU For You - Providing a flexible and growing set of digital educational assets for people of all ages and at all stages of their educational, career or lifelong learning journey.
- NASA at Home - Let NASA bring the universe into your home.
- Kennedy Space Center Science Lessons
- AP U.S. History - Special Edition with Lin-Manuel Miranda
- NASA Museum Alliance Calendar of Virtual Events
- 4 Easy Tips to Having Fun Doing STEM Activities at Home
- Everyday Engineering STEM @ Home - Activity: Windy City Tower
- Cyberbullying Resources from Security.org
Thinking Money for Kids - The American Library Association (ALA), in partnership with the FINRA Investor Education Foundation, has released a collection of free online games to teach children basic financial skills related to earning, saving and spending money. The four interactive games are designed for children ages 7 to 11 but are appropriate for other ages as well.
- Earning It: Follow the paths of characters Grace, Emma, and Kenji to see how their childhood interests translate into successful careers and opportunities to “give back” by volunteering.
- Balance My Budget: Make choices about how to meet basic needs and treat yourself with a splurge here and there, while sticking to a monthly budget.
- Money Trail: Starting with $500 in your bank account, make decisions about how to earn and spend.
- Let’s Deal: Hear from buyers and vendors at a farmers’ market as they swap goods and learn about money.
Authors and Storytimes:
- Storytime Online - Storyline Online, streams videos featuring celebrated actors reading children’s books alongside creatively produced illustrations. Readers include Viola Davis, Chris Pine, Lily Tomlin, Kevin Costner, Annette Bening, James Earl Jones, Betty White and dozens more.
- Read Along with Michelle Obama and Others on PBS Kids
- Julie's Library - Every week, Julie Andrews and her daughter Emma Walton Hamilton will settle into the reading nook for a new story.
- Bedtime Stories with Dolly Parton - “Goodnight With Dolly” web series featuring Dolly Parton reading Imagination Library books all carefully chosen for their appropriate content at this moment in time.
- Jbrary -This is an evolving list of online storytime resources for families, preschools, and daycares. It includes videos, websites, and podcasts to support those who cannot make it to the library for any reason. The focus is on early literacy support online – songs, rhymes, movement, and stories.
- StoryRaps by Wes Tank - StoryRaps! Featuring classic stories and fairy tales with a fresh twist!
- Harry Potter At Home Hub - Everyone is trying to keep safe at home at the moment and so, with J.K. Rowling and friends at Audible, Bloomsbury, OverDrive, Pottermore Publishing, and Scholastic, they are delighted to introduce Harry Potter At Home to help children, parents, carers and teachers add a touch of Harry Potter magic to our new daily lives.
- Dave Pilkey At Home - Get creative and have fun with some of your favorite characters from Dog Man and Captain Underpants! Check back every Friday to discover new activities, exciting videos, and so much more!
- Doodles with Mo Willems! Mo Willems invites YOU into his studio for his doodles. Grab some paper and pencils, pens, or crayons and join Mo to explore ways of writing and making together.
- Draw with Author/Illustrator Wendy MacNaughton - Follow @WendyMac on Instagram to draw together!
Crafting & Hobbies:
- CreativeBug – Provides over 1,000 video classes in painting, knitting, crafting, sewing, and more. Requires a Library District library card.
- Hobbies and Crafts Reference Center – This database offers detailed "how-to" instructions and creative ideas to meet the interests of virtually every hobby enthusiast. Full text is provided from leading hobby and craft magazines. Requires a Library District library card.
Markerspaces at Home:
- Robotics Projects at Home - Designed for our Best Buy Teen Tech Center
- Make! Start Making Downloadable PDF - From The Clubhouse Network and The MIT Media Lab this book is full of photos and examples from Clubhouses around the world. This book is geared towards educators, youth leaders, and parents, offering a series of do-it-yourself activities.
- Rubber Band Helicopter - This rubber band helicopter is simple and easy to create. Once you build one, you can experiment with other designs.
- Simple Electric Mini-Car - These battery-powered cars are super fun and can be made with a few basic parts.
- Foam Boat With DC Motor - Learn how to make this simple foam boat with dc motor and homemade propeller.
- How To Make a Frog Robot - Using a simple hobby motor and cardboard, you can make a frog robot that is very entertaining.
- Pizza Box Simple Circuit - Build a simple circuit using a pizza box.
Visit The Zoo Online:
- Cincinnati Zoo is Bringing the Zoo to You! - The Cincinnati Zoo is offering Home Safari Facebook Live!
- San Diego Zoo Facebook Live - The Zoo is closed but you can visit virtually through their Facebook Live broadcasts
- San Diego Zoo Kids - A website just for kids with amazing videos, activities, and games and live webcams. Enjoy the tour!
- Monterey Bay Aquarium Live Cams - With ten live cams to choose from, you can experience the wonder of the ocean no matter where you are.
- Houston Zoo Animal Cams - Tune in to the Houston Zoo Webcams and enjoy a live look at animals that call the Houston Zoo home!
- Georgia Aquarium Live Cams - Eight live cams on their website across different colorful, fun exhibits.
- Oregon Zoo - Daily video updates on their Facebook page , opens a new windowof different animals during their temporary closure.
- Zoo Atlanta Panda Cam
Visit A Museum From Home:
- Clark County Museum - You can ask Museum Administrator, Mark Hall-Patton, your questions every Wednesday at 12 p.m. on Facebook Live.
- Mob Museum - This tour is a three-part series of all four floors of the Museum's highlighted exhibitions and artifacts.
- Discovery Children's Museum - The museum may be temporarily closed, but there is still plenty to be DISCOVERED! Kids can enjoy the digital resources they have created and compiled to help keep them busy during this time of social distancing.
- Boston Children’s Museum - Walk through the Boston Children’s Museum thanks to Google Maps! This virtual tour allows kids to explore 3 floors of fun.
- Wright Virtual Visits - A social media initiative highlighting Frank Lloyd Wright-designed public sites that are closed due to COVID-19. Every Thursday each participating site will share a short video tour of another site via social media.
- New York’s Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum
- Tate Modern - Launched free online film tours of major exhibitions. A virtual tour of Andy Warhol's exhibition led by Director of Tate's Collection of International Art, Gregor Muir, was uploaded to their YouTube channel.
- J. Paul Getty Museum - Museum archive is available to view online and includes books, artworks, and videos.
- The British Museum - Visit London’s The British Museum with an interactive timeline.
- The Louvre Virtual Tours -Visit the museum's exhibition rooms and galleries
- Amsterdam’s Rijksmuseum of Art
- Google Arts and Culture Collection - Full list of museum virtual tours
- Crystal Bridges Museum - Take a virtual tour of the Hank Willis Thomas: All Things Being Equal exhibit.
- George Eastman Museum - Virtual Tours
- Benaki Museum in Athens - Virtual Tours
- Smithsonian National Portrait Gallery
- Smithsonian: Online events and webcasts
Visit A National Park or Historical Marker:
- Yellowstone National Park Virtual Tours
- Hawai’i Volcanoes National Park, Hawaii
- Kenai Fjords National Park, Alaska
- Carlsbad Caverns National Park, New Mexico
- Bryce Canyon National Park, Utah
- Dry Tortugas National Park, Florida
- Historical Marker Database - Offers lists by topic, as well as by state, of fascinating sites that tell lesser-known chapters in American history. You might enjoy plotting a route to match any interest or curiosity.
- Cirque Connect - Exercise the Cirque way, learn new makeup techniques, dive into virtual reality or amaze your kids with unique videos created for them.
- Normal Ave QuaranStream - A free series of commissioned world premiere digital play readings on Facebook Live and IGTV. Each week, Normal Ave will give two playwrights a paid micro-commission to write a 10-minute play meant to be performed in quarantine, using the environments and materials that each actor has available to them in their homes.
- Austin City Limits - Opens up video archives during COVID-19 pandemic.
- 123 Andrés - Latin Grammy-winning music duo and their catchy songs and lively concerts get the whole family dancing and learning will be holding live concerts on their YouTube channel.
- The Shows Must Go On! - Full-length performances of Andrew Lloyd Webber's shows every Friday and available to view for 48 hours.
- Shakespeare's Globe - Free streaming content including the Sonnet Project NYC and Shakespeare Lives.
- Social Distancing Festival - Celebrating art from all over the world, showcasing amazing talent and coming together as a community at a time when we need it more than ever.
Metropolitan Opera - Watch some of the world's best operas from the comfort of your own couch.
Cooking & Gardening:
- Green Our Planet Virtual Academy - Green Our Planet is taking their garden, nutrition and hydroponics lessons online to serve children in our community during this time of need. Students can learn from Green Our Planet's farmers, chefs and hydroponics experts at home.
- Massimo Bottura - Gucci Osteria’s Massimo Bottura is offering free virtual cooking classes on Instagram.
- Alton Brown - He videos to keep you entertained and informed including the importance of handwashing.
- Stay at Home Chef - Restaurant-quality recipes, you can easily make at home.