You Can Make a Difference!
Learn how the U.S. Census will impact your future.
Did you know that the U.S. Census has been conducted every 10 years since 1790? In fact, it is so important for the government to obtain an accurate count of the U.S. population that the founding fathers wrote this requirement into the United States Constitution!
The census determines how more than $675 billion in federal funding is allocated to states and communities each year for schools, roads, hospitals, health clinics, emergency services, and much more. So don’t let Nevada miss out! Invitations to respond to the 2020 Census will be delivered between March 12-20. Once you receive that invitation, you can respond online, by phone, or by mail.
In addition to English and Spanish, there will be over 60 languages available to complete the 2020 U.S. Census.
Your Data Is Safe
The Census Bureau is committed to making the 2020 Census quick, safe, easy for all participants.
Everyone counts during the Census, including non-citizens. The 2020 Census will not ask whether you, or anyone in your home, is a U.S. citizen.
We want to assure you of the following:
- Your citizenship status will not be asked and is not part of the 2020 Census.
- Your Social Security number will never be requested.
- Your bank account or credit card numbers will never be requested.
- Money or donations will never be requested.
If you ever receive any communications (mail, email, text, or phone call) claiming to be from the 2020 Census asking for any of these things, do not respond to these requests! Instead, please report them to the U.S. Census Bureau fraud department by calling 844-330-2020, where you can speak directly with a representative.
The Census Bureau is bound by Title 13 of the U.S. Code to protect your personal information and keep it strictly confidential. The Census Bureau is also prevented from sharing your information with law enforcement. Your answers are ONLY used to create statistics about our country's current population numbers.
Why The Census Is Important
It's worth repeating: the 2020 Census will determine congressional representation, generate hundreds of billions of dollars in federal funding to our state, and provide data that will impact Nevada's communities for the next decade in many important ways:
- The Census determines funding for health clinics, fire and police departments, schools and even roads and highways.
- Census results help determine funding for programs such as Medicaid, Head Start, SNAP, and more.
- The results determine how many seats each state gets in Congress and how state legislative districts are drawn.
Make sure to fill out and submit your census form so that Nevada gets our fair share of funding!